Thursday, November 4, 2010

Week 9 Reflection

This past week went relatively well. I began my unit on functions in Algebra I. I'm continued using guided notes for this unit. I sang a popular song for the students but changed the words to talk about functions. The students loved it and begged me to dance to the song. I didn't, but it did get them interested. I am still shocked at how fast most of my students learn new material.
An issue that I am facing is my struggle with being fair to all students but using my best judgement. For example, I have a few students in my seventh period who want to leave the classroom all of the time. I know that they are not going to the restroom or getting a drink of water; they are roaming the hallways. So, I told the students that no one in my seventh period could leave the class for any reason. This didn't no become an issue until a very trustworthy, honest student asked to go to the restroom. I immediately struggled for the right answer. I knew that I could trust him and that he had done nothing wrong to deserve to not be allowed to go, but I also wasn't allowing anyone to leave the class. In the end, I did let him go. I need to realize that although I might tell one student yes and the other no, I am using my best judgement and sticking with what I think is best. Hopefully I will not dwell so much on these situations.

1 comment:

  1. Starting a lesson with an interesting activity arouses students' interest and attention. This is more important in Mathematics because any attention lapses however minute, affects their grasp of concepts and processes. When their attention is lock-step with what a teacher is explaining, I believe comprehension will be higher.
    In regard to whether to consistently apply same rules to all students, there comes a time that situations or individual cases demand flexibility.

    ReplyDelete