Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week 5 Reflection

Last week was a totally new experience for me. I was never given the opportunity to participate in an IEP, 504, or SAT meeting while at Bridgeport High or Bruceton School. On Thursday, I was told to participate in one of my students 504 meetings. I was very eager to attend because I had been dealing with a lot of frustrations with this student. The student would not participate, stay attentive, turn in work, and was a HUGE disruption to my classes (I had them two periods a day for Algebra I and Algebra support).
Those present in the meeting include the mother, the student, a counselor, the meeting's coordinator, and the student's teachers. I could tell very early on that the mother was not pleased. She made comments like "I don't like your attitudes," or, "You all went to school to do this!" When it came time for me to speak, I told her that when I could get the student to work, they worked, but that that was VERY rare. I also said that the student could not stay on task even if I were to stand over top of the student and redirect the student every single minute. The mother then told me that I would have to do that with her child for the rest of the year. My host teacher informed her that we have 28 other students in the class that needed our help as well, and that that would not be an option. The art teacher began to speak about her class after that. My heart was racing the entire time. I was so uncomfortable to be in that room and so amazed that a parent would have such a mean attitude with us. As the art teacher told the mother how her student performed in her class, the anger escalated. That is when my host teacher stood up and told me we could leave. Another student teacher and a special education teacher followed.
I was so thankful that my host teacher was able to talk to me after the meeting to calm my nerves. She informed me that I do not have to sit in a meeting and be talked to like that. Also, an administrator should have been present in that meeting and was not. It was not a good start to my day, since the meeting was before school.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh-- not a happy experience, especially to start the day, but definitely a good learning experience. Please know that all 504 meetings aren't like that. I'm glad your host teacher talked you through it afterwards.

    Dr. Benson

    ReplyDelete