Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Week 7 Reflection

Last week was another good week for me. I began implementing my action research strategy. Students were given guided notes during direct instruction. The students seemed to really like the guided notes. They were able to be more attentive during the lecture because they didn't have to write as much. Also, I've seen homework grades beginning to improve. The students now are able to take their guided notes home to help with the homework. So far it is working out perfectly!
I also encountered a small issue this week. On Friday as the end of the day was approaching, my seventh period began to huddle around the door. Normally, I do not have an issue with this, but on this particular day, I noticed that a student had exited the class and was standing outside of the door with two other students. When I walked out there to tell the student to come back into the class, I noticed that he was distributing tobacco products to the two other students. I immediately confinscated the tobacco and called for my mentor teacher. This was one of my really good students and I was very upset with him. He was suspended for a day, along with one of the other boys. Since then, my seventh period is not allowed to exit their seats until the bell rings. I learned my lesson.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that your action research is going on well. I am looking forward to see your findings.
    As regards the student who had exited class and was distributing tobacco, I think you took the right step. I hope the suspension will be followed with some counseling. This is the moment that you as a teacher you would wish that the parent of the student gets involved, because if the same rules in the school are not reinforced at home, then the root of the problem would not have been solved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I'm glad you saw what was going on; it would have been really bad if the student had gotten away with the incident and thought he could do it again later.

    ReplyDelete